Monday, August 29, 2011

Not Gonna Compromise!


"Japanese Maple in Autumn"
B.E. Interiors Photography 

This is way off topic from my normal, but it's on my mind and I felt the need to put it out there. (In other words, God's hitting me with a cattle prod...AGAIN! I think he gets his kicks from watching me squirm.)

Once again, I've got this little voice saying...put that out there in blog land for all to read. So, I'm not gonna argue this time. I don't win anyway. Here it is:

You know, it's frustrating to read what all the "experts" claim you should NOT talk about on your blog or whatever in order to be successful. See if you can guess what the two biggest were. Yep, religion and politics. I'm out to make my blog and business a success, so I hunt for tips only to find this. Lovely.

Well, I hate to break it to "them", but I'm not gonna filter who I am to get more readers (although it's always tempting because that's so much easier!). Not all of us are out to be politically correct or to get readers/followers just to win some unspoken popularity contest. That doesn't mean I don't want readers... I'd love to make a living doing this (I enjoy it THAT much!), I'm just not gonna compromise to get them. I'd love to one day be able to look back and say, "See! Who says following the blogging/business 'rules' are what will make you successful? According to them, I should be a failure, but my God is greater than any set of 'rules'! If he wants me to succeed by the world's standards...then by golly, move over! 'Cause there ain't no stopping him!"

But, it could very well be that He lead me to blogging for other reasons than worldly success in business. It could be that just one or two people needed to see my blog because of my lack of a "filter". That's reason enough for me. Heaven knows that I've been incredibly blessed since starting this five months ago. He's shown me a side of myself that needed work...one that struggles with remembering the reason for what I do and keeping priorities straight. It's easy to get caught up in the numbers game and forget your real reason for what you do and WHO you're doing it for. I can't tell you how many nights I've gone to bed asking for forgiveness for losing focus and ashamed for patting myself on the back instead of thanking God. Success is his to give and his to take. My blogging attitude and business sales is a constant finger on the pulse of my spiritual walk. It's like a constant mirror for me to look in and see the truth...second only to raising children. That is the biggest mirror you'll ever look into! I'm just being honest, folks. It's ain't easy to always  be honest. I don't pick that road because it's a cake walk!

I've been and continue to be blessed with this new outlet to use my talents - far beyond what I ever expected! I refuse, no matter how big a struggle it is or what the "experts" say, to ever forget or quit telling the world who gave me those talents, provided me with all I need to use them, brought buyers for my pieces - readers to my blog, etc. Like the old saying goes, we tend to grow closer in the storm...and it's a definite spiritual storm. You get tempted to quit at times, then puff up like a rooster at other times. It takes daily prayer to keep you head screwed on right!


I realize I take a huge risk of losing people when I mention my beliefs. I could be like so many people and carefully monitor what I post for fear of offending, but when you do that you're just a number and you aren't sincere. In my opinion, if I'm to be good at what I do (any and all things), my heart has to be in it. In order for my heart to be in it, Jesus Christ has to be in it as well. That's just who I am and what I stand for. He's greater than any social statistic or poll and will bring the readers/buyers I need. I don't need to pretend to be someone I'm not. I'm not out to impress the world. I am out to use my God given talents to honor Him, and if that offends someone, I'm truly sorry. That's not my intent. In fact, it really saddens me, but it's a reality I have just come to accept...as much as I hate it and wish I could change it.

So let me pose a question for you:

Do you compromise your beliefs in order to be "liked" or to fit in? I'm not going to lie to you, some people will love you for being strong, but others won't. That's o.k., though. I'd rather be liked for being honest than for being a fake or ashamed of my Lord Jesus. You don't have to rub your beliefs in everyone's face to be honest. Just tell the truth when asked why you do what you do. Set an example with your actions more than your words, but if He leads you to speak, do so boldly, but kindly and not abrasively. Be more worried about offending God than others. I mean, seriously...can people just drop a lightening bolt out of the sky and zap you (not saying he will...but not saying he won't either!). Be STRONG and in the end be able to say as Paul said in 2 Timothy 4:7:

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

If you're still reading this, then I wish I could give you a hug!  Thank you! May God bless all you who read my blog and love me for desire to be uncompromised and honest as I plod through the world of design! If we don't share common beliefs, then I'm just truly honored you put up with me:)


"Sun and Clouds"
B.E. Interiors Photography


16 comments:

  1. I appreciate your post today ;)
    Thanks and keep up "the good fight" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you did 'put that out there', I feel the same way, and sometimes I do hesitate to mention my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. But I will tell you this, when I do add a scripture or mention Him in some way, I end up with more comments & followers that seem to come from 'nowhere'. I know it's hard not to let that little number counter of followers be a measuring stick for success in blog-land, I try instead to focus on the amount of comments that I get from readers who ask for information, about resources or paint colors, etc. that way I know that I am being more helpful minded instead of successful minded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That strange noise you hear in the background is my applause...

    I am so thankful to find bloggers who aren't afraid to mention their faith in Christ. Thank you. I live in the Bible Belt, and it's not as hard for me to mention my faith in my posts because I've been conditioned to speak that way, but I find that in the world at large, it's becoming harder. If you aren't "Politically Correct" people really hit you hard. You can't say what you really believe unless you are willing to deal with snide remarks and backlash. I admit, there have been times when I've tempered my responses and posts, when I should have boldly said I believe something is wrong. Part of that is fear of reprisal, and part of it due to my desire not to hurt feelings.

    Anyway, again I say, Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for a sincere post...that is the trouble with our society today, people do not want to praise and talk about Jesus Christ...not me, if I feel the need to speak about him and thank Him for all that he does for me I say it...Thank you again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah....I'm just standing her waiting for my hug, girl! I think a blog is about the person-the whole person...that encompasses that which they love, who they love, how they love and what they believe.

    I think you will gain readers by being honest about who you are. If you look at some of the BIG blogs you will find just a handful of comments sometimes. Some of those BIG blogs are not REAL. They are full of pretty pictures but there is no soul behind the writing. There are some phonies out there. I have un-followed some blogs because I get tired of the "smuchltz". I want real. I am real. I like real.

    Now, if you are still reading this, I would like to give YOU a hug too! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am actually not religious, but feel that it is your blog and you should say and write whatever you want. Do I enjoy the posts about decorating more? Yes. But do others enjoy these more? Probably. All you can do is be true to yourself and you'll find your audience (and I'll be one of them even if I don't share all of the same beliefs)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your faith. I was actually feeling a little low this morning as I checked my blogs, and you encouraged me. I find it refreshing to find bloggers who are Christians, not just in name, but in deed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your faith in such a candid way. It makes me happy to know my sister isn't ashamed. God has definitely given you talent that you are using for His Glory and I think it is wonderful that you are giving Him the Glory first and foremost. Keep up the good work. You inspire me to do the same.

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I would much rather read something that is written from the heart than all the design do's and don'ts or just see pictures from magazines and never get to really know the person behind the blog. I am a firm believer in my God and He is first! I think that whatever we do to glorify Him is correct.
    :-) I don't discuss politics as that could really get heated but allowing others to know our beliefs is very touching.

    I appreciate your honesty and sharing!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I respect you for not compromising! I am local to Greenville and enjoy reading your blog. I think we have alot in common... So thank you for your inspiration and honesty. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stacy,
    Thank you so much for your honesty! I'm being totally sincere when I say I enjoy hearing from everyone...not just people who see the life the same as I do:) If it weren't for all my awesome friends over the years (both believers and non-believers), I'd be a really shallow, boring person. They drive me to dig deep and think about things I might not have considered without them. I much prefer the company of those who are sincere, than those who pretend to be something they really aren't!

    Don't worry...this is primarily a design blog, but I want my readers to know who I really am so occasionally I'll feel the need to voice a thought or two. I love getting your sweet comments and am so glad you put up with me! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing your Faith with us and having the Boldness to do so. I read your blog daily and love and admire the work you do. You are so very talented. I distress and faux paint furniture and architectural pieces and love what I do also. It is where my Passion is. God has given me this talent and I want to use for his honor and glory. You are so right it isn't about just seeing how many followers you can get but using your talent that God has given you for his purpose and desire and about sharing our Faith with others. All things are possible through Jesus Christ. Thank you once again for your Boldness. May God Bless you Greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Experts, schmexperts. I think God should be our guide and when He's prodding us to do something, we'd better get it done! I'm glad you did and I enjoyed your blog.

    Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you, plans not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted you to know that I appreciated your post. It was a blessing to read it. And I want to encourage you to keep it real. The world needs more folks like you to stand up for what they believe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I swear...you guys are just the best. I can't tell you how much all your encouraging words mean. Thank you barely begins to express how I feel!

    ReplyDelete

One of the highlights of each day is hearing from my readers!

Follow Me on Pinterest